Thursday, June 24, 2010

Friends

I was awakened by an unusual sound today morning……that of screeching crows. The commotion was justified, when I saw the sight.
It was pretty strange scene. One crow was stuck between the electric wires. One of its wings was completely entangled between the wires. What was curious was, there were a bunch of other crows that were trying to “detangle” the feathers. And this was done by turns! I was surprised further, when my dad said this was going on for sometime now. We have all heard the story of the “thirsty crow”…. But I was seeing a bunch of intelligent crows.
There is a saying in Kannada, which literally translates to “if a crow sees food, it’ll call the other crows as well”. But here, I was seeing this picture and so many things were running in my head.
1. Obviously, crows are intelligent.
2. As we humans have friends, even birds do.
3. Even birds and animals, show that a friend in need, is a friend indeed.
4. Birds of the same feather flock together.
5. Heartfelt thanks to all my friends, who stood by me, in my times of sadness.
Birds were sensitive enough to stand by their fellow bird when it was in trouble, but not all humans can do that. I would admire a person, who can stand by you in times of difficulty. I have seen a group of friends that are available only during “Party time”, but not after, when you actually need them. There are always friends to take the free drinks, but very few offer back. There are always friends who pass the bill to you always, but never offer to pay even once. These are not actually friends, but just acquaintances….who will leave you at the drop of a hat.
This reminds me of the saying..Think over it.
If you really need to know who your friends are, take your address book , call them and ask them you need them to drive you to the airport. The ones who agree are your friends, the others are, well just acquaintance.
I am and will always be proud of the fact that I am always there when my friends need me. I am fortunate to have some really good friends…who care for me and who are true to their words.

No comments: